After years of dreaming about having beautiful hardwood floors, we’ve finally made it happen and I’m so thrilled with how they turned out. But seriously, ever since the floors have been refinished in our Master Bedroom, I’ve made a habit of walking past the room just to ogle them every morning (and evening, if I’m being honest). Let’s dive into the details.
We opted to use Rubio Monocoat, a natural penetrating hardwax oil for a lot of reasons, which I laid out in detail here. But in a nutshell: it’s VOC-free, all-natural, and is applied in a single coat. Oh, and the finish is absolutely gorgeous.
Depending on your square footage, this is at least a two day process. I’m going to break what you need by day one (prep and sanding) and day two (stain application), but recognize that you may need more days to complete your own space.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- A Shop Vac
- A nail punch
- A hammer
- A drum floor sander rental
- An edge sander rental
- A hand sanding block
- Lots of sandpaper for the drum sander and edge sander (24, 36, 60, 80, 100 grits)
- Sandpaper for the sanding block (120 grit)
- Rubio Monocoat RMC Cleaner
- Terry cloth towels (these are so handy to have on hand)
- Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C A with Accelerant B
- Stain applicators
- A floor buffer rental
- Several white buffing pads